Position: Director of State Policy and Advocacy
Date posted: March 22, 2017
Reports to: Vice President of Government Affairs
Position Summary: The Director of State Policy and Advocacy supports and enhances effective State advocacy related to End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and kidney care policy at the American Kidney Fund (AKF), including private insurance coverage, Medigap and Medicaid through strategic issue assessment, policy development and analysis, timely production of advocacy materials and comment letters, thought leader development and coalition building. The Director of State Policy and Advocacy must be an excellent communicator, both written and verbal, and able to translate complex policy issues into useful information for AKF employees and key constituents, including AKF patient advocates.
Salary: $110,000 - $115,000 depending upon experience
Location: Rockville, MD
Job Type: Full Time
Email resume to: email@example.com
• Recommend to the Vice President of Government Affairs the public policy and legislative positions and strategies that AKF should undertake at the state level and develop a proactive AKF state strategy.
• Work directly with state legislatures and state executive branch agencies. This includes working with key healthcare policy makers, including members of legislative committees with jurisdiction over healthcare, as well as the Departments of Insurance and other state agencies and executive departments tasked with overseeing state health care programs.
• Collaborate with colleagues in the Office of Government Affairs to develop grassroots action plans that strategically engage AKF patient-advocates to achieve desired policy outcomes.
• Identify key states and monitor activity with these state legislatures and government agencies as well as insurance company activity with regard to issues affecting people with ESRD.
• Develop and implement proactive strategies and plans of action aimed at insurance companies, state government officials and agencies to facilitate AKF-desired outcomes, including representing AKF to state officials, comment letters, position descriptions, etc. Develop relationships with key state officials and stakeholders, as well as with other advocacy organizations.
• Coordinate with the AKF Director of Government Affairs to engage with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners on an on-going basis.
• Communicate effectively and work closely with colleagues in the AKF Office of Government Affairs and other AKF colleagues, as well as the AKF Advocacy Network.
• Collaborate with AKF’s Public Relations agency of record to provide needed information to execute effective statute-level media campaigns
• Assess outside counsel and lobbying needs within each state and manage these resources appropriately.
• Out-of-town travel – 30% to 40% of position.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
7-10 years relevant experience in a similar role. College degree required. Advocacy and state health policy experience required, with specific knowledge of End Stage Renal Disease and health insurance issues preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint required. Must have excellent writing, interpersonal, presentation and communication skills. Excellent online research skills. 5 years of strong supervisory experience. Proficient Project Management Skills. Must be well-organized with strong attention to detail; excellent proof reading skills; a strategic thinker and a proactive problem solver; able to work independently and within a team framework. Ability to proactively track and coordinate multiple projects and complete work in a timely manner. Ability to handle confidential matters with a high level of integrity. Demonstrated ability to be highly flexible. Ability to work weekends or evenings as required.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for a position with the American Kidney Fund, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
No unsolicited agency referrals, please. No phone calls please