Position: Senior Director of Community Engagement
Date posted: June 23, 2017
Reports to: Vice President of Development & Field Operations
Position Summary: In 2016, more than 98,000 people—1 out of every 5 U.S. dialysis patients—received assistance from the American Kidney Fund for health insurance premiums and other treatment-related expenses. Ninety-seven cents ($0.97) of every dollar spent by the American Kidney Fund went directly to programs and services. Additionally, millions of people nationwide benefit annually from the American Kidney Fund’s efforts to fight kidney disease through health education and prevention efforts. Under the direction of the VP of Development and Field Operations, the Senior Director of Community Engagement is responsible for developing the vision and implementing a national fundraising strategy focused, but not limited to, special events, grassroots and peer to peer fundraising; including the oversight of KIDNEYNATION, the American Kidney Fund’s national fundraising platform that engages supporters in individual, group and corporate fundraising efforts across the country. He/ She supervises the Community Engagement team (2) in the implementation of all community fundraising efforts. In addition, the Senior Director oversees the Northeast Regional office and staff (2), located in Melville, NY. He/ She supervises all functions of the regional office, including strategic direction and ultimately meeting revenue goals. The Senior Director works collaboratively with all colleagues overseeing giving areas to maximize revenue for the American Kidney Fund. He/ She will participate in the development and implementation of the department's strategic plan, including alignment of team goals; identification of key opportunities of engagement for leadership and management of the Development Department’s strategic initiatives.
Salary: $100,000 to $115,000 depending upon experience
Location: Rockville, MD
Job Type: Full Time
Email resume to: email@example.com
Development Department Leadership Functions
Under supervision and guidance from the Vice President of Development, the Senior Director of Community Engagement:
- Serves as a partner to the Vice President of Development in implementing fundraising initiatives and reaching fundraising goals.
- Works with the Vice President to provide leadership and coordination of resources and projects for the department.
- Oversees the development and management of the DC Regional Development Task Force, a regional group of business leaders tasked with fundraising to support the work of AKF in the DC area.
- Assists in developing, and implementing policies and procedures to increase the effectiveness of fundraising programs.
- Assists with the development, management and review of the Community Engagement, NE Regional Office and Development Department budgets on an annual basis.
- Participates in implementing and managing the strategic fundraising business plan that fits within the organizational strategic plan.
- Encourages cross-functional collaboration, promotes a healthy and trusting work environment within the development office, and fosters a commitment to the goals of the entire Development team and of AKF.
- Thoroughly understands AKF and its mission and policies, culture, values, history, key stakeholders, programs, finances, and how sources of funding can be integrated to generate revenue and increase visibility.
- Accompanies Vice President and members of Development team for in person fundraising meetings as needed.
- Support other fundraising activities, including AKF’s annual fundraising gala The Hope Affair.
- Undertakes other duties as assigned.
KIDNEYNATION Oversight Functions
- Oversees development of strategy for KIDNEYNATION, a multifaceted peer-to-peer fundraising program; evaluate challenges, strategizes innovative solutions and drives exceptional results.
- Stays abreast of developments in the event fundraising/ peer-to-peer industry to keep the program competitive; continues to assess industry for trends and best practices.
- Develops budgets, goals, performance strategies and metrics, while providing reports on a regular basis to the Vice President of Development.
- Supervises Community Engagement team members (2) in the execution and management of the KIDNEYNATION campaign.
- Involves and encourages all key AKF stake holders (i.e. AKF staff, board, strategic partners, vendors, membership groups and other volunteers) in multi-layered, peer-to-peer fundraising efforts.
- Will work closely with OCM to maintain KIDNEYNATION digital marketing efforts.
- Maximizes fundraising efforts by building relationships with fundraisers and corporate/strategic partners.
NE Regional Office Oversight Functions
In collaboration with the NE Regional Director:
- Leads the development of strategic direction and fundraising plans for the NE Regional Office.
- Ensures financial goals are met.
- Provides budget information and cost analysis reports to the Vice President of Development.
- Visits the NE Regional office at least quarterly to provide support and training.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience and must have five to seven (5-7) years of progressive fundraising experience, including demonstrated success in face-to-face fundraising, peer-to-peer program development and oversight, and event-based, committee development and fundraising. Demonstrated experience in cultivating high-level volunteer committees and fundraisers. Ability to prioritize and manage a number of complicated projects with an innate sense of pace and urgency. A minimum of four year in a supervisory capacity required. Have strong interpersonal skills and a positive disposition. Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as, excellent decision-making and judgment skills. Ability to handle confidential matters with a high level of integrity. Be proficient MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint) as well as fundraising database software (Classy.org, Raisers Edge, Luminate Online). Some regional and national travel required.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for a position with the American Kidney Fund, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
No unsolicited agency referrals, please. No phone calls please