Position: Senior Director of Health Initiatives and Education
Date posted: March 24, 2017
Reports to: Vice President of Patient Services and Kidney Disease Education
Position Summary: The Senior Director of Health Initiatives & Education will serve as an integral part of the American Kidney Fund's leadership team, overseeing all aspects of its public education, professional education and kidney disease prevention strategies. The Senior Director supervises a department of 12 employees, including four direct reports, to implement programmatic goals and objectives according to AKF’s Strategic Plan. This process entails strategic planning, community needs assessments, program evaluation, and relationship management of both internal and external stakeholders.
Salary: $100,000 - $115,000 depending upon experience
Location: Rockville, MD
Job Type: Full Time
Email resume to: email@example.com
1) Health Initiatives/Kidney Disease Prevention
• Work in collaboration with the VP of Patient Services and Kidney Disease Education to provide programmatic vision and direct overall strategic direction of prevention activities.
• Under the direction of the VP, executes AKF’s Prevention Plan; annually evaluate Prevention Plan for efficacy and feasibility and adapt as required.
• Directly supervise the Director of Health Initiatives in managing all aspects of AKF’s health screenings, including Kidney Action Days (large-scale events, currently in five major cities), large partner screenings (at 20+ other venues) and the Know Your Kidneys DC program, a local, pilot project in the District of Columbia. Provide strategic direction for screening priorities by conducting frequent and ongoing evaluation of all aspects of each model and recommending changes to the VP and CEO.
2) Public and Professional Education
• Directly supervise the Associate Director of Education in the conceptualization, development and dissemination of public health education. These include printed materials, monthly webinar series, website content and other public education endeavors.
• Evaluate and adapt AKF’s public health education strategies to meet emerging needs and attract sponsor support.
• Help bring AKF to the next level in development and delivery of culturally competent health education programs.
• Expand the reach of AKF’s public education offerings by working to partner with national organizations, city and county public health departments and federal partners. Collaborate with the Senior Director of Patient Services to develop education program and materials for dialysis patients to support adherence to their treatment regimens and improved health outcomes.
• Directly supervise the Associate Director of Education in the conceptualization, design, implementation, operations and evaluation of AKF’s online continuing education offerings. Provide oversight in the selection of course topics, speakers and credits offered.
• Assist VP and Associate Director of Education in management of AKF’s Clinical Scientist in Nephrology (CSN) program, including candidate selection, progress reports, budget management and CSN Committee management.
• Supervise the Associate Director of Education’s implementation of the Calendar Kids program, including soliciting artwork from pediatric dialysis patients, preparation of print materials, interactions with winning families and budget management.
• Foster innovative thinking for opportunities to introduce new and enhanced professional educational products that can also attract corporate support.
• Expand the reach of AKF’s professional education offerings by working to partner with healthcare membership organizations, hospitals and other point-of-care groups.
3) Other Major Responsibilities
• Serve as a member of the American Kidney Fund’s Leadership Team.
• Supervise Associate Director of Education in identifying potential exhibit opportunities and represent AKF at identified events.
• Deliver written and verbal reports to internal and external constituents. These reports will include analyses, position papers, recommendations and talking points.
• Serve as a resource to the Office of Communication and Marketing for marketing and media opportunities.
• Serve as a resource to the Office of Government Relations on policy efforts and advocacy needs.
• Serve as a resource to the Office of Development and Field Operations for sponsor and donor needs.
• Participate and help prepare presentations to corporate sponsors, prospective funders, and government agencies etc.
• Complete special projects and assignments as requested by the Vice President and CEO.
• Travel as necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Public Health or Community Health Education. Master’s degree preferred.
• At least 7-10 years of strategic, senior-level public health experience, preferably in a chronic disease state at a nonprofit organization.
• A minimum of 5+ years of progressive experience and demonstrated success in managing, motivating and coaching both junior and senior staff.
• CHES, MCHES, and/or PMP designation preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
• A track record in successful project management. Including setting priorities; keen analytics, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize and work with a variety of external and internal stakeholders.
• Demonstrated excellence in managing multifaceted public health events.
• Ability to work with and support volunteer committees, including board and event committees.
• Strong supervisory experience working in a rapidly growing, dynamic organization.
• Direct experience developing and implementing a programmatic strategic plan and research projects.
• An organized and strategic approach to managing multiple new and ongoing programs.
• Demonstrated success in attracting and sustaining sponsorship support and building community partnerships.
• Leadership and strategic qualities to develop and manage employees and to direct day-to-day activities and operations.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and managing budgets; computer literate and experienced with applying IT solutions to improve programs delivery.
• A track record as an effective communicator who is articulate and persuasive in written and verbal communications; adept at describing AKF programs and their benefits to stakeholders and making presentations to a variety of audiences.
• Must be able to think proactively, work independently in a changing environment, meet tight deadlines, multi-task, achieve metric-driven goals, and empower others by example.
• Valid Driver License required, with dependable transportation
• Ability to lift 30 pounds
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for a position with the American Kidney Fund, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
No unsolicited agency referrals, please. No phone calls please