Our Recent Accomplishments
Thanks to the generosity of many Americans who care about their friends and neighbors with kidney disease, In 2013, more than 87,000 people—1 out of every 5 U.S. dialysis patients—received assistance from the American Kidney Fund for health insurance premiums and other treatment-related expenses. Ninety-seven cents of every dollar we spent went directly to programs and services.
We provided direct assistance to patients in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and every U.S. territory in 2013:
- 66,300 dialysis patients maintained their health insurance coverage through our Health Insurance Premium Program
- 18,900 dialysis patients received Safety Net Grants, helping them to pay for treatment necessities not covered by health insurance, such as transportation to dialysis, nutritional products and emergency assistance
- 2,100 dialysis patients received donated medications
- 112 patients received Disaster Relief Grants to assist when natural disasters struck their local communities
- 53 children with kidney disease received grants to attend summer camp
We provided education about preventing and treating kidney disease to millions of people in 2013:
- Our outreach to increase awareness of kidney disease generated nearly 350 million media impressions
- 3.4 million people visited our website
- 41,000 people e-mailed or called our HelpLine (866-300-2900)
- 22,500 people received free kidney disease screenings in 20 cities nationwide
- 5,600 healthcare professionals received continuing education through our eight online courses
Millions of people nationwide benefit annually from our efforts to fight kidney disease through health education and prevention efforts. Our national campaign, Pair Up: Join the Fight to Prevent Kidney Disease, empowers people to protect themselves—and the people they love—from kidney disease.
In 2012, Consumers Digest named us one of the nation’s top three health charities for spending efficiency. As an 12-time recipient of the top “Four Star” rating from Charity Navigator, we are ranked among the top 1 percent of charities nationwide for fiscal accountability. In addition, we hold an A+ rating from the American Institute of Philanthropy; adhere to the National Health Council Standards of Excellence; and are a member of the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance.