Toolkit Talking Points
Don’t have time for an educational session? You can still raise awareness with shorter talking points. A list of suggestions is below. Choose the talking points that are most helpful for your audience. These statements can also be included in brief newsletter articles or emails to help raise awareness or promote an upcoming educational session.
- Control diabetes and high blood pressure! Diabetes and high blood pressure are the leading causes of kidney disease. If you have them, work with your doctor to control them.
- Get tested! The only way to know if you have diabetes, high blood pressure or kidney disease is to be tested. Talk to your doctor about being tested, or contact the American Kidney Fund’s HelpLine at 1.866.300.2900 to find a health clinic near you.
- Kidney disease often has no signs or symptoms. The only way to know how well your kidneys are working is to be tested. Ask your doctor for simple tests to check your kidneys.
- Millions of Americans have kidney disease. Millions more are at risk. Many have no idea. Ask your doctor what might be putting you at risk and what you can do to protect your kidneys.
- Live a healthy lifestyle to prevent or control diabetes, high blood pressure and kidney disease! Exercise often, and eat a diet low in salt and fat. Limit alcohol, avoid tobacco, and take medicines as your doctor prescribes them.