Kidney disease often has no symptoms until it is very far along. The only way to be sure how your kidneys are working is to get tested. If you do have symptoms, they might include:
- Feeling sick to your stomach often
- Feeling tired or dizzy often
- Swelling in your feet, hands or face
- Back pain
- Bloody, foamy or dark-colored urine
- High blood pressure
- A change in how often you go to the bathroom (pee more or less often)
If you think you may have a kidney problem, talk to your doctor. Kidney problems that are caught early can be treated. Kidney problems that are left untreated may lead to permanent damage (chronic kidney disease, or CKD) or even kidney failure.
Learn about the simple tests that can tell you if your kidneys are working properly.
Download our free Kidney Health Tracker to keep track of your test results.