Your personal privacy is a principal concern for us. Our goal in outlining our policy on the collection and use of user data is to ensure the highest level of confidentiality and security. When you provide any personal information to AKF, we will not give or sell your personal information to any outside company for its use in marketing or solicitation. We will maintain the confidentiality of your personal information and it will be used only to support your relationship with us, assisting us in providing better services for you. Additionally, internal practices are in place to help protect your privacy by limiting employee access to and use of this data. When browsing our site, we allow our users to maintain control over their personal data while attempting to provide a more interactive online experience. If you provide a mailing address or email address, our intention is to send correspondence only to those who have chosen to receive such communications. At any time, you have the right to decline receiving future communications in any manner, including email, fax, and postal mail.
- Personal Information. Any personal information you provide to AKF while visiting AKF’s web site will not be given or sold to any outside companies for its use in marketing or solicitation.
- Information collection. When you browse the American Kidney Fund site, you do so anonymously. Personal information— including your email address—is not collected. However, we may request that you voluntarily supply us with personal information, including your email address for purposes such as correspondence, site registration, membership, making a purchase or donation, or participating in online surveys. We may ask for your name, email address, telephone number, mailing address and other optional information that we deem necessary to fulfill any requests you may have. At any time, you may decline to provide such information and we will do our best to fulfill any requests you may have with the information you desire to share with us.
Like many other web sites, the American Kidney Fund may use a standard technology called a "cookie" to collect information about how our site is used. We collect only information that is needed, and we tell you how we use it. We limit the collection of information about our site users to what we need to know to manage their relationship with AKF, to provide customer service, to offer new products and services, and to fulfill any legal and regulatory requirements. We tell our customers about the general uses of information we collect about them, and we will provide additional explanation if requested.
- We provide site users with choices about how their data will be used. On a regular basis, we provide our users the ability to decline any or all future communications. Users may also decide if and how they wish to be contacted using other communication methods.
- We ensure information quality. We use advanced technology and well-defined employee practices to help ensure that site user data is processed promptly, accurately and completely.
- We use information security safeguards. The American Kidney Fund treats personal data, including credit card information, as a critical asset that must be guarded at all times against loss and unauthorized access. Access to user data is limited to those who specifically need it to conduct their business responsibilities. To ensure the security of credit card and personal information, this website employs industry-standard security methods, including the Secure Socket Layers (SSL) protocol for the encryption of transmitted data. Our service provider, Blackbaud, complies with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and the Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA-DSS). When you make a donation to the American Kidney Fund, make a purchase, or access your account information, all your personal information is encrypted to protect against unauthorized use. While we make every effort to ensure that your information is secure on our system, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do this at your own risk.
- We restrict the release of any user information. In addition to providing users with the opportunity to refuse communications or offers, we release information only at the users' requests. If, for any reason, a court order or subpoena would require us to release information, we notify the user directly so that his/her legal rights can be exercised, if appropriate. The only exceptions to this policy are when we are prohibited by court order or law from notifying the user, or cases in which fraud and/or criminal activity is suspected.
- We hold employees and subcontractors responsible for our privacy principles. Each AKF employee is personally responsible for maintaining user confidentiality and all subcontractors are required to enter into an agreement that they will comply with these policies. Employees who violate these policies are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal, while subcontractors may have their work terminated. All individuals with access to confidential information are expected to report violations—and may do so confidentially—to their managers or other supervisors.
- Information use. If you provide us with your email address or mailing address on this web site, we may send you offers or newsletters in the future. These offers or newsletters are based on information you provided when you submitted your address, registered on a form, or filled out a survey. All communications are carefully designed to meet our quality standards—our goal is to provide information that will help you as we accomplish our mission of fighting kidney disease through direct financial support to patients in need; health education; and prevention efforts.
- The data you may provide is used to enhance the services and products of the American Kidney Fund. As a result of providing any information, AKF can provide a more customized online experience, making your interaction with us more productive, helpful and fun.
- Deciding to no longer receive any communications. The American Kidney Fund provides users with an easy method to decline receiving future email or direct mail offers and recognizes the importance of providing you with choices. At any time, you may request to discontinue receiving these offers from us by simply replying to the email address included in every email message you receive or by writing to us at the address shown below, on every page our web site, or on the direct mail piece.
- Children. The American Kidney Fund does not knowingly solicit data from children (defined as anyone under 12 years of age), and we will not knowingly mail to or market any services to children. Should you discover that your child is on our email or direct mail list, simply notify us using the method above and we will immediately remove him or her from any future communications.
- What else should I know about my privacy? Third party Internet sites and services that may be accessible through AKF's site have separate privacy and data collection practices, independent of us. AKF has no responsibility or liability for these independent policies or actions. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords, membership ID, or any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online. If you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. While we aim to protect your personal information, AKF cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
- Report of information gathered. You may contact AKF and request information on personal information AKF may have collected through the use of the site. You can contact AKF at the address shown below, or calling our toll-free number 1-800-638-8299 or email us.
While the American Kidney Fund puts forth its best efforts in adhering to these privacy standards, additional restrictions may be imposed to comply with state and local laws.
For more information, please contact us at:
American Kidney Fund, Inc.
11921 Rockville Pike, Suite 300
Rockville, MD 20852