Position: Director of Community Health Outreach
Date posted: November 12, 2019
Reports to: Senior Director of Health Initiatives and Education
Position Summary: As Director of Community Health Outreach at the American Kidney Fund (AKF), you will be responsible for our portfolio of nationwide health outreach activities and initiatives which provide education, public health screenings, and outreach to populations at risk for kidney disease. Reporting to the Senior Director of Health Initiatives and Education, you will be instrumental in developing the strategic vision and operational procedures for our activities and initiatives. We will look to you to develop, plan, and implement programs, set goals, and manage projects and budgets. You will ensure that our programs help increase awareness of the risks of kidney disease among the general public—especially those at higher risk for the disease. You will see the impact of your team’s efforts in the lives saved each year as a result of these programs. Leading and mentoring a team, you will set goals, capture metrics, and establish procedures and guidelines to ensure the success of the Know Your Kidneys program. With the support of our leadership and board, you will implement cutting-edge strategies that uphold best practices for program improvements and operational efficiencies. You will explore ways to maximize our community impact through partnerships with like-minded organizations, process improvements, additional services, etc. We will also look to you to maximize and leverage efforts with other departments within AKF to make sure we are all working toward goals in a manner that is synchronized and productive.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: Rockville, MD
Job Type: Full Time
Email resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• In alignment with our strategic operating plan, provide evidence-based public health education, targeted health screenings, and engagement for those at risk for kidney disease.
• Manage all health initiatives screening events from concept to service delivery for a variety of venues, ranging from small, local events to large-scale events held in conjunction with partner organizations. Assume full responsibility for all program planning, delivery, evaluation, and reporting activities.
• Provide programmatic vision and recommend overall strategic direction for all health initiative efforts, including changes in strategic approaches and tactics to ensure that efforts are optimal to address changing needs and environment.
• Develop standardized education and program delivery materials, following internal branding guidelines.
• Manage databases; compile and disseminate screening and follow-up results.
• Proactively identify opportunities for competitive vendor services, including lab fees and other services. Skillfully negotiate vendor contract terms as needed and provide price analyses to the senior director and/or VP, by request.
• Provide mentorship, coaching, and leadership to team and staff; reliably identify and proactively suggest opportunities for professional growth of self and staff; plan, monitor, and objectively appraise job results; conduct training; and implement effective systems.
• Ensure staff and volunteers are sufficiently trained and are regularly given formal and/or informal constructive feedback and affirmation related to job performance.
• Collaborate with the senior director to develop and provide leadership to subordinate staff to implement programs in a manner that demonstrates a clear understanding of best practices in public health, cultural competence, and social determinants of health, as they relate to chronic kidney disease.
• Collaborate across departments, including communications, fundraising, government relations, and operations, to ensure successful screening events; ensure the health initiatives team maintains adherence to the same positive collaboration.
• Develop an annual budget and manage program expenses within budgetary constraints.
• Provide evidence-based recommendations for program development, program improvement, and operational efficiency.
• Develop and implement standard operating procedures (SOPs) and tools to ensure consistent and high-quality delivery of screening services at events. Conduct necessary process improvement activities to capture lessons learned and update strategic operating plans accordingly.
• Conduct frequent and ongoing evaluation activities, including process, outcome, and impact evaluations, which accurately and reliably assess program effectiveness.
• Proactively and promptly identify both immediate and ongoing systemic issues in a manner that demonstrates pragmatism, resourcefulness, creativity, and effective leadership.
• Undertake other duties as assigned to ensure the overall success of the Office of Patient Services and Kidney Disease Education team.
• Actively participate with the fundraising department on reviewing and providing input to grant proposals and ensuring supporting contributors receive the benefits outlined in their sponsorship agreements.
• Initiate and support partnerships and alliances for capacity building, resource sharing, and promoting kidney health.
• Create and deliver polished, customized presentations to internal staff and external audiences, such as leaders of private and public organizations, lay community groups, potential and existing partners, and sponsors.
• Commendably represent AKF at appropriate events and venues in a manner reflective of our organizational interests, values, and standards.
• Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field; master’s degree in public health or related field is preferred. Certifications in CHES, MCHES, CMP, or PMP is a plus.
• 3 years of direct supervisory experience.
• 5 to 7 years of experience developing and conducting evaluations for community health programs focused on at-risk populations. Experience developing partnerships with mission-aligned organizations.
• Understanding of the importance of cultural competence, the impact of social determinants of health, and behavior change as they relate to chronic disease, particularly diabetes and hypertension, and the ability to apply this understanding to health initiatives programs.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in Spanish is a plus, but not required.
• Proficiency in MS Office. Knowledge of Microsoft CRM or similar databases is a plus.
• Budget and data management experience.
• Event planning experience.
• Ability to travel up to 25 percent, including some evening and weekend hours.
• A vehicle, valid driver’s license, and adequate insurance coverage is required.
• Ability to lift 30 pounds.
• Adaptable. You anticipate and respond to change in a fast-paced environment and demonstrate flexibility and eagerness to learn new ways of approaching your work to achieve better results. You see the big picture and are willing to adapt as programs grow and evolve.
• Analytical. You are data-informed and outcomes-focused. You go beyond giving us the numbers and tell us how to apply the data to produce meaningful results.
• Collaborative. You have a collaborative style and easily work across departments and with external entities to get results and support while maintaining relationships.
• Discreet. You respect and maintain confidentiality and handle all confidential matters with a high level of integrity.
• Interpersonal. You possess exceptional written and oral communication skills and communicate effectively at all levels, one-on-one, and in groups.
• Mentor. You have proven experience coaching, mentoring, and developing staff at all professional levels, skillfully identifying/promoting talent and empowering strong teams.
• Organized. You bring order to competing priorities and keep things clear, concise, and running smoothly. You delegate effectively and drive a clear process.
• Project manager. You successfully handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, allocate and optimize resources, reduce risks, manage timelines, and get the work done in a timely manner.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
• You can be proud of the direct and indirect life-saving work you and your team will do here. We identify and facilitate treatment for hundreds of critically high-risk patients each year while helping thousands of others proactively control their lives and decrease their health risks.
• This is an excellent time to join our results-oriented culture as we expand upon our existing portfolio. Your ideas will be welcomed and supported as we look for new data-informed strategies to broaden our reach.
• You are joining a strong team of diverse, open, collaborative, and supportive colleagues who care deeply about each other and our mission—led by a board of trustees that is appropriately active, engaged, experienced, supportive, and appreciative of the team.
• We are financially strong and the only health nonprofit included in Charity Navigator’s list of the top 10 charities with the most consecutive 4-star ratings.
• You will have work-life balance. While this role does require some prescheduled evening and weekend travel, you will be able to take advantage of flexible schedules and 1 telework day every other week.
• AKF offers a comprehensive benefits plan designed to meet the needs of all our employees that includes health, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability, flex spending, and generous leave.
How to Apply:
Simply email your resume to Ellen Greenwood at email@example.com with “AKF – Director, Community Health Outreach #2019-2511 CW” as the subject of the email.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.
Internally this position title is Director of Health Initiatives.