The American Kidney Fund will host its second digital advocacy day on March 17, 2021.
Ambassadors all over the country will join us in advocating for legislation to address the health disparities that often lead people to develop kidney disease, ensuring that at-risk patients have access to the health care and healthy communities. Addressing these disparities is even more urgent now, given the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on communities of color.
We will also be advocating to increase federal protections for living organ donors in order to reduce barriers to organ donation, as well as ensure that all patients in kidney failure can have access to affordable coverage options regardless of age. You can learn more about each of these pieces of legislation below.
Thank you for joining us in our efforts!
Resources for Congressional staff
The links below contain additional material for Congressional staffers looking to learn more about the issues we’re advocating on during our digital fly-in. You will find one-pagers for each bill/issue that we support, as well as general information documents about AKF, COVID-19’s impact on kidney patients, and state-specific kidney disease fact sheets.
- About AKF
- Access to Health Coverage
- Address Health Disparities and Help Kidney Patients
- Charitable Premium Assistance
- H.R. 1255/S. 377: The Living Donor Protection Act of 2021
- H.R. 1676: The Jack Reynolds Memorial Medigap Expansion Act of 2021
State fact sheets
Resources for AKF Ambassadors
In addition to the fact sheets and issue briefs above, we have additional materials that might be helpful to our Ambassadors, including slides from our Ambassador training and access to our Advocacy Toolkit.
- Slides from Ambassador Training
- Advocacy Toolkit - This Advocacy Toolkit will teach you how to be an effective advocate for yourself and others who have had their lives affected by kidney disease. This guide provides information on important advocacy techniques, including how to share your story, identifying elected officials and the best and most effective ways to communicate with them.