The American Kidney Fund hosted its first-ever digital advocacy day on July 15, 2020.
Ambassadors all over the country joined in advocating for legislation to address the health disparities that often lead people to develop kidney disease, ensuring that at-risk patients have access to the health care and healthy communities. Addressing these disparities is even more urgent now, given the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on communities of color.
We are also advocated to extend coverage of immunosuppressive drug coverage for transplant patients. Thank you for joining us in our efforts!
Resources for Congressional staff
The links below contain additional material for Congressional staffers looking to learn more about the issues we’re advocating on during our digital fly-in. You will find one-pagers for each bill/issue that we support, as well as general information documents about AKF, COVID-19’s impact on kidney patients, and state-specific kidney disease fact sheets.
- About AKF
- Address Health Disparities and Help Kidney Patients
- Social Determinants of Health
- Health Equity and Accountability Act
- Medicare Immunosuppressive Drug Coverage
- Top 20 HIPP Districts
State fact sheets
Resources for AKF Ambassadors
In addition to the fact sheets and issue briefs above, we have additional materials that might be helpful to our Ambassadors, including slides from our Ambassador training and access to our Advocacy Toolkit.
- Slides from Ambassador Training
- Social media
- Telling your story
- Advocacy Toolkit - This Advocacy Toolkit will teach you how to be an effective advocate for yourself and others who have had their lives affected by kidney disease. This guide provides information on important advocacy techniques, including how to share your story, identifying elected officials and the best and most effective ways to communicate with them.