There is no way to prevent either form of PKD. If you have PKD, you may be able to keep your kidneys working longer by following a healthy lifestyle. Some tips for living healthy include:
- Keep a healthy blood pressure.
- Keep a healthy blood sugar level.
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Follow a low-salt, low-fat diet.
- Limit alcohol.
- Do not smoke or use any tobacco product. If you smoke or use tobacco, quit now.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, most days of the week.
- Take all prescription medicines as your doctor tells you to.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose of over-the-counter medicines.