- Usually only 1-3 joints are affected.
- You will only feel symptoms during attacks.
- Attacks may last from a few days to a week.
- After attacks, you will not feel symptoms.
- You may start by having acute gout but worsen to chronic gout over time if attacks happen more often.
- Chronic gout is having 2 or more gout attacks per year.
- Often more than one joint is affected.
- Some people with severe chronic gout have only short breaks in between attacks and feel symptoms of gout most of the time.
- Chronic gout can lead to permanent joint stiffness, damage, and deformity.