The best way to prevent heart disease is to manage the problems that can lead to it. These include conditions such as anemia, high blood pressure, and problems with calcium and phosphorous levels.
Some other ways to keep your kidney and heart health on track are to:
- Follow a low-salt and low-fat diet
- Weigh yourself regularly to watch for fluid overload or dehydration
- Take your medicines exactly how your doctor told you
- Exercise most days of the week to help lower blood pressure and improve heart and muscle function
- Control your weight, blood pressure, blood sugar and blood fats
- Quit smoking, if you are a smoker
- Reduce stress in your life
Talk with your doctor about other ways to reduce your chance of getting heart disease if you have CKD.