If your eGFR was less than 60, talk to your doctor soon!
If this was your first eGFR test, you may need to be tested again in a few months. Your doctor will want to see if your eGFR is less than 60 for three months or more. Ask your doctor when you should be tested again.
Whether your eGFR is above or below 60, you can take steps to keep your kidneys as healthy as possible:
- Keep a healthy blood pressure (less than 120/80 for most people)
- Control your blood sugar if you have diabetes
- Follow a low-salt, low-fat diet
- Exercise at least 30 minutes most days of the week
- Keep a healthy weight
- Do not smoke or use tobacco
- Talk to your doctor about medicines that might help protect your kidneys.