Being active can help you stay healthy and:
- Lose weight
- Keep a healthy blood sugar level
- Improve your heart and lung health
- Lower your blood pressure
- Lower your total cholesterol level and increase your HDL (“good” cholesterol) level
Set a goal to be active for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
If that seems like too much, start slowly and work your way up. You do not have to go to the gym! Try adding just a little more activity to your routine, such as:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Go for a walk after dinner
- Look for fun activities that you enjoy, like dancing, swimming or playing a sport
Be sure to talk to your doctor before starting any exercise plan. Your doctor can help you learn what exercises are safe for you, how often you should exercise and how long your exercise sessions should last.