AKF is mobilizing to help dialysis patients in Texas who are facing an extreme crisis as a result of power outages. AKF is providing $200 emergency grants through its Disaster Relief Program to dialysis and recent transplant (1 year or less from date of surgery) patients in Texas counties with a significant amount of the county without power. To apply, a grant request must be submitted in our Grants Management System by the patient or social worker. For more questions about the grant or grant eligibility, please use GMS messaging or call us at:1-800 -795-3226.
- Our phone hours are: 11 am - 3 pm EST Monday - Thursday and 9:30 am - 1:30 pm EST on Fridays.
- Or schedule a call back at: gmsassist.com
- All times are presented in Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Additional resources for kidney patients in Texas affected by the winter storm
Phone numbers for dialysis patients in Texas to call
- DaVita: 1-800-424-6589
- Fresenius/FMC: 1-800-626-1297
- Satellite: 855-396-2212, option 3 (Texas)
- ARA: 888-880-6867
- USRC: 866-671-8772
- TEEC: 866-407-3773
- ESRD Network of Texas Patient Hotline: 877-886-4435
- Texas Health and Human Services: 2-1-1
- Texas Emergency Assistance Registry (STEAR): 1-877-541-7905
Texas Health and Human Services: 2-1-1: https://www.211texas.org/
Statewide Warming Center locator: https://tdem.texas.gov/warm/
Salvation Army shelter locator: https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/plugins/gdosCenterSearch?start=1
Red Cross shelter locator:https://www.redcross.org/get-help/disaster-relief-and-recovery-services/find-an-open-shelter.html
How to find clean water
- Houston locations: https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/find-bottled-water-boil-order-houston-galveston-15960915.php
- Austin locations: https://www.austin360.com/story/lifestyle/food/2021/02/18/where-find-free-water-austin-natural-grocers/6797950002
- San Antonio locations: https://www.saws.org/bulk-water-distribution-sites-to-open-friday/
- Dallas-Fort Worth area locations: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2021/02/18/here-are-the-north-texas-cities-that-have-boil-water-notices-and-where-you-can-get-water-for-free/
3-day emergency diet
Local bus operations are available by appointment in many areas to transport patients to dialysis. Contact 2-1-1 to find out about availability in your area.
General tips on staying safe and warm with no power:
- Keep any generators outside your home! They need to be 30 feet away from your home.
- Turn on ALL faucets to a slow drip to avoid freezing pipes.
- Unplug your electronics to avoid damage from power surges.
- Layer your clothing to start warmer. Wear thin layers closer to the body, and thicker layers on top. Be sure to keep your head, hands and feet warm with a hat, gloves and warm socks.
- Close off any unused rooms in your house to preserve heat.
- At night, close your blinds or curtains, or cover your windows with towels to keep more heat inside. During the day, open your blinds and curtains if there is bright sunshine.
- Don’t forget about your pets. If you are cold, they are cold. They can get frostbite-- keep them inside with you except when letting them out to do their business.