Decisions made by Congress and federal and state government agencies affect the quality of care that kidney patients receive, the amount of available funding for kidney disease research, and a myriad of other factors that impact the kidney patient experience. The American Kidney Fund continuously monitors regulations, legislation and policy issues that may affect kidney patients and their families. We work with Congress, the administration, federal agencies, and state governments to advance a legislative and regulatory policy agenda that will protect the patients we serve.
Our policy priorities
Our continuous monitoring of federal and state legislative and regulatory activity enables us to identify issues that may affect the patients we serve. With so many ongoing changes to our nation’s health care system, our work in this area has never been more important. These policy priorities guide us in our advocacy work throughout the year, as we work to ensure that Congress, regulators and state legislators understand how new laws or regulations may affect kidney patients. Learn more about our current policy priorities.
Several important pieces of legislation have been introduced in the current Congress, and we are actively working to enact these bills that would affect kidney patients and their access to life-sustaining health care.
Resources and information
Do you want to find information about the U.S. Senate or House of Representatives or your elected state representatives? Are you looking for data or information from the government on end-stage renal disease (ESRD), transplantation or medical research? Use the links below.
- Congress.gov. The Library of Congress presents this site, which includes summaries and texts of legislation, links to House and Senate leaders, and has videos on how a bill becomes a law.
- United States House of Representatives. See the latest legislation being considered by the House. This site also contains links to individual representatives’ web pages, committee websites and financial disclosure reports.
- United States Senate. The U.S. Senate’s website includes links to the legislation on the Senate floor, Senate committee websites, and individual Senators’ home pages.
- State legislature websites: You can find the link to your state’s legislature, and from there, you can find your state legislators.
- Health Resources and Services Administration organ donation page. The site includes information on our nation’s transplantation program and how to become a donor.
- United States Renal Data System. USRDS collects, analyzes, and reports information on chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in the United States and publishes an annual report. You can search the annual report for statistics on demographics, new cases (incidence) and treatment types, Medicare spending on ESRD, primary diagnoses, and much more.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Chronic Kidney Disease Initiative. Learn about the CDC’s initiative that aims to implement comprehensive public health strategies to foster kidney health.
AKF’s advocacy and comment letters (2020)
AKF’s advocacy and comment letters (2019)
- Section 1557 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Comment
- MAPRx Coalition Letter on The Prescription Drug Pricing Reduction Act of 2019
- Coalition Letter on OMB Official Poverty Measures (June 21, 2019)
- Comment Letter on Medicare Part D Prescription Drug program (June 6, 2019)
- Letter Supporting Legislation to Stop Surprise Bills (May 21, 2019)
- Coalition Letter to Appropriators in Support of Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (May 7, 2019)
- AKF thanks Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro for her leadership in funding key kidney disease related programs thru the House appropriations process
- AKF comment letter on removal of safe harbor protection for prescription drug rebates
- Coalition response to request for information on lowering health care costs
- AKF comment letter on HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2020
- AKF comment letter on Part D protected classes
- Partnership for Part D Access coalition letter on Part D protected classes
- MAPRx Coalition letter on Part D protected classes
- Coalition letter on Part D protected classes
- Call for Health Equity to Members of the 116th Congress
AKF’s advocacy and comment letters (2018)
- State Relief and Empowerment Waivers
- KidneyX - Letter of Support
- Navigator Funding Cuts
- Medicare Guidance on Step-Therapy Medicare Advantage
- Copayment Accumulator Programs
- KidneyX Project Comment (Request for Information #1)
- KidneyX Prize Comment (Request for Information #2)
- Work Requirements in Medicaid
- Short-Term, Limited-Duration Insurance, Proposed Rule
- ESRD PPS and QIP Proposed Rule
- Association Health Plans Proposed Rule
AKF’s advocacy and comment letters (2017)
- MassHealth 1115 Waiver on Prescription Drugs
- HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2019
- ESRD PPS and QIP proposed rule